Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"I'm Animerican" paintings

Here's some documentation of the paintings I did for a group show called "I'm Animerican."

The theme was the fusion of Japanese and American culture through the influence of Japanese Anime. It's up now at a place called Royal T in Culver City. It's a pretty bad ass gallery/store/japanese maid cafe: http://www.royal-t.org/ The opening was huge. It was curated by Eric Calderon. Apparently, he knows how to throw a good party. Booze+Karaoke+Weird Paintings+Japanese Girls in Maid Outfits=Awesome. I'll post or link to some pictures of the show eventually...

Anyways, here's what I painted....

I did 2 pieces. 2'x2' each, Acrylic on wood. They were called:

"Giant lady eats smaller monster in Tokyo"
and
"Giant monster eats smaller lady in San Francisco."

Here they are before hanging in the show...


This is the drawing stage. I start with light pencil, then firm it up with a Sharpie. Shannon posed for the lady. See the Burne Hogarth knee reference to the left...


Monster version...


Then I rock the grayscale "painting." I've found that using Copic/Prismacolor gray markers and sharpies makes this process go very quickly. Most of the time I'm doing these the night before the show, so I need to work fast!




I paint over the grayscale version with acrylic, then finish it up with gloss medium.




A detail of the giant lady eating the smaller monster...


Eric painting his energy blast in my garage.


Hanging the show...


As soon as I get some pics or a link from the opening, I'll post that shit!

Next up, I'll be painting something for a ROM tribute show. I'll post something when I have it...

2 comments:

josiahkinchen said...

Mr.Chris Prynoski I saw freaknik:The Musical and Me and my friend said you should make a show but i wanted me and my friend to Direct and create the show like come up with the lines and get the people for the show so If you ever get this please a comment on my e-mail
josiahkinchen@yahoo.com just leave a message there too see what you think because me and my friend have amazing ideas for you.

fend said...

Those paintings are super nice. All of those bright colors in the Tokyo piece pared with the dusty browns in the San Francisco one make for a nice contrast. Love seeing painting progress shots too, always enjoy catching a glimpse into other people's working process.

Also dig the idea for the show too since most people these days in illustration and animation have at least some connection to Japanese cartoons. (If they like it or not)